Monday, November 10, 2014

Frozen Meatball Recipe

Hey friends! It surely has been a while since I posted on here with a food recipe! (Or I guess any recipe at all!) I can tell you much has changed since I've posted anything on either of my blogs...but I can do some catch up later. I try to sum up what's happened in the last two years in a few sentences. Mr.M and I left moved away from Idaho (I still miss it like crazy and think about it practically everyday) in spring of 2013 and moved into Brookings, SD where Mr.M began working towards the end of his college career as a mechanical engineering student. I got a job working in patient services at the Avera Medical Clinic and we learned that we were expecting our first baby in October 2013. Fast forward 9 months and we welcomed our little baby girl Emmie into this world on July 11,2014. It's now November of 2014 and we will be celebrating having Emmie in our lives for four months and Mr.M being almost done with his semester (only 3 more to go after this one!) and oh yeah, Thanksgiving! Well, so I don't ramble on too much about our lives... I happen to know we live so adventurously (ha!) that everyone wants to know about us... I will get to my recipe.

First let me tell you this. I am a lover of all things recipes. I love learning how to make things and make them myself. I love this for a couple reasons, first I love just creating and learning, and second, being on a very strict budget I have learned to make things at home and make the things we do have and do have to buy go as far as they can. I try not to waste anything that we have.

This is a freezer meatball recipe that I have learned and read and adapted it to be a little more financially friendly and cost effective for making a lot.


Family Friendly Freezer Meatballs

3 lbs ground beef (it doesn't really matter the fat content... I've used lean and I've used the 27% stuff and they both work great)
6 eggs
1 1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups (or 1 bag) of shredded parmesan cheese
1/8 - 1/4 cup (or less if you want) of minced garlic (we buy it in the jar because it's WAY easier and a little more affordable too.) or about 7-8 cloves
2 1/2 - 3 cups bread crumbs (depending on the how moist the mixture is)
2 onions cut really small (I use a mini chopper)
1 1/2 teaspoons of pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons of oregano
1/2 teaspoon of cajun seasoning (or season salt)
3 teaspoons of salt


Set oven to 350 degrees F. Mix everything together and make them into a little smaller than golf ball or cookie sized balls. We use a cookie scoop to form them and then I roll them a little better with my hands. Put them on a jelly roll pan (or cookie sheet or cake pan or basically anything that is metal and you can stick in an oven). You don't have to worry about them being too close because as they cook they will get smaller. Bake them for about 35-40 minutes. No need to worry about flipping them. Allow them to cool and then put them into your freezer bags! I usually put around 20 or so in a bag and then label it with how many they are and the use by date. Which I always say that it's best to use by 3 months by the day it was made.  This usually makes anywhere between 84-96 meatballs. (I say that because I've done this twice and those are the two numbers I've gotten)


You can pretty much do whatever you'd like with these. We love them with spaghetti but we also love them as sweet and sour meatballs in the crock pot. If you are reheating them on the stove top just add a little bit of water and let them steam a bit to thaw and get warm. If you are reheating them in the crock pot you can go ahead and put them in frozen and they will heat as everything cooks. I'm not sure how they thaw in the microwave because I've never done it.

Happy Eating Everyone! :)


Oh yeah, I adapted this recipe from one I found right here.




0 comments:

Post a Comment